Use a period after the abbreviations Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., and St. (Saint) before a name and Jr., Sr., and Esq., after a name. Do not use a period with Miss because it is not an abbreviation.
Instructions: Put periods where needed in the following sentences.
1. Mr Samuel H White spoke at the celebration last night.
2. Mr and Mrs J B Smythe and their son J B Smythe, Jr , will be at the opening ceremonies.
3. Have you been to St Petersburg and St Louis?
4. Dr Leonard J Arrington was a great historian
5. Ms P T Roberts and Mr John J Jones, Esq will speak at tomorrow's meeting.
--For answers scroll down.
1. Mr. / H.
2. Mr. / Mrs. J. B. / J. B. Jr.
3. St. / St.
4. Dr. / J. / The end of the sentence needs a period.
5. Ms. P. T. / Mr. / J. / Esq.
http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog