Instructions: Using all the knowledge learned in the previous lessons, find the verb (v), subjects (subj), predicate nominatives (pn), direct objects (do), appositives (app), nouns of address (na), adjectives (adj), predicate adjectives (pa), adverbs (adv), prepositions (prep), objects of the preposition (op), and prepositional phrases (p ph) in the following sentences.
1. A building in ancient Rome was destroyed accidentally by an old buried bomb.
2. The welcomed blue shadows stretched across the road and the park.
3. On a hill in Hawaii stands an old bunker.
4. Bill walked along the ridge of the mountain during the snow storm.
5. This down pillow like a foam one is really soft.
--For answers scroll down.
1. was destroyed = v; building = subj; a = adj modifying building; accidentally = adv modifying was destroyed; in ancient Rome modifying building/by an old buried bomb modifying was destroyed = p ph; in/by = prep; Rome/bomb = op; ancient = adj modifying Rome; an/old/buried = adj modifying bomb
2. stretched = v; shadows = subj; the/welcomed/blue = adj modifying shadows; across the road and the park = p ph modifying stretched; across = prep; road/park = op; the = adj modifying road; the = adj modifying park
3. stands = v; bunker = subj; an/old = adj modifying bunker; on a hill modifying stands/in Hawaii modifying hill = p ph; on/in = prep; hill/Hawaii = op; a = adj modifying hill
4. walked = v; Bill = subj; along the ridge modifying walked/of the mountain modifying ridge/during the snow storm modifying walked = p ph; along/of/during = prep; ridge/mountain/storm = op; the = adj modifying ridge; the = adj modifying mountain; the/snow = adj modifying storm
5. is = v; pillow = subj; soft = pa; this/down = adj modifying pillow; really = adv modifying soft; like a foam one = p ph modifying soft; like = prep; one = op; a/foam = adj modifying one
http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog