Use a hyphen in a compound adjective that is a fraction. Example: You need a two-thirds majority for passage.
Instructions: Supply hyphens where they are needed in these sentences.
1. For that recipe you need one fourth cup of cream.
2. Cut off three eighths of an inch from that board.
3. That bug is only seven sixteenths of an inch long.
4. A three fifths majority is really 60 percent.
5. The bylaws require a three fourths majority to change them.
--For answers scroll down.
1. For that recipe you need one-fourth cup of cream.
2. Cut off three-eighths of an inch from that board.
3. That bug is only seven-sixteenths of an inch long.
4. A three-fifths majority is really 60 percent.
5. The bylaws require a three-fourths majority to change them.
http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog