Thursday 3 March 2016

Lesson 380 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Quotation Marks

Place question marks and exclamation points inside quotation marks if they are part of the quotation. Place question marks and exclamation points outside the quotation marks if they pertain to more than the quotation.

Examples: Jim asked, "Where are you going?" Did Ann say, "I won't do it"?
"Are you sure!" exclaimed Becky. How happy she was to say, "I do"!

Instructions: Use quotation marks where needed in these sentences.

1. When Dad said that we were going camping, I shouted, What a great idea!

2. Mary asked, When are you going?

3. Didn't you hear me say, I will think about it?

4. Didn't you hear the policeman shout, Stop!?

5. We need protection from his kindness!


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. When Dad said that we were going camping, I shouted, "What a great idea!"

2. Mary asked, "When are you going?"

3. Didn't you hear me say, "I will think about it"?

4. Didn't you hear the policeman shout, "Stop!"?

5. We need protection from his "kindness"!

For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog
http://dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com/2016/03/lesson-380-mechanics-punctuation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment