Friday 4 September 2015

Quiz for Lessons 246 - 250 - Parts of the Sentence - Compound Sentences

Instructions: Tell whether the words in quotation marks are independent clauses, dependent clauses, prepositional phrases, participial phrases, gerund phrases, or infinitive phrases.

1. Do not leave for help "until I signal you."

2. "Here are the plants" that you wanted.

3. I remained "staring at the damage" when help arrived.

4. "Having learned the outcome," I was at a loss "to know what to do."

5. The neighbors stared "at me" in unbelief.

Instructions: Combine the following sentences with the appropriate co-ordinate conjunctions.

6. I turned on my radio. There was no sound.

7. The storm had ended. The sun peeked out from the clouds.

8. I did not attend the meeting. John didn't either.

9. You must leave soon. You will be late for class.

10. A phrase has neither a verb nor a subject. The clause has both.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. until I signal you = dependent clause

2. Here are the plants = independent clause

3. staring at the damage = participial phrase

4. Having learned the outcome = participial phrase, to know what to do = infinitive phrase

5. at me = prepositional phrase

6. I turned on the radio, but there was no sound.

7. The storm had ended, and the sun peeked out from the clouds.

8. I did not attend the meeting, nor did John.

9. You must leave soon, or you will be late for class.

10. A phrase has neither a verb nor a subject, but the clause has both.

For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog
http://dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com/2015/09/quiz-for-lessons-246-250-parts-of.html

No comments:

Post a Comment